These Healthier Baked Chimichangas are one of my family’s all time favorites and are perfect for a busy weeknight.
Originally from The Girl Who Ate Everything blog and tweaked a little for my family’s personal tastes and dietary needs. These Baked Chimichangas are a simple, quick, and much healthier version of the traditional deep fried Chimichangas.
Please don’t let the word healthy make you doubt the flavors of this one – I’m serious, they taste just as good (if not better than) their fatty, artery clogging cousins.
Simple, healthy, hearty deliciousness – on your family’s table in just 35 minutes from start to finish!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (I love using a rotisserie chicken – quick, so easy, and already deliciously seasoned)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 – 2 green onions, chopped (I have also used yellow in a pinch)
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- 6 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 2 tbsn. unsalted butter, melted
- Toppings of your choice such as diced jalapenos, diced tomatoes, guacamole, additional salsa, and sour cream
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees
– Mix everything (except butter) together in a bowl
– Place about 1/3 cup of chicken mixture on tortilla, leaving about an inch or two on the sides, fold ends in and roll up like a burrito
– Place Chimichangas seam side down on a greased rimmed baking sheet or casserole dish and brush tops with melted butter
– Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and a little bit crispy. Let stand for at least 5 minutes before serving
– Garnish with your family’s favorite toppings, serve on a bed of shredded lettuce (I prefer Romaine as it has a mild taste and awesome amounts of great vitamins and minerals), with Spanish rice and / or re-fried beans on the side